To see what we are doing each day in Year 5, please visit us on Twitter:
Class Information Year 5
- Class Teacher – Mrs Thomas
- We encourage children to use the methods taught in class. Standard written methods have been taught alongside allowing the children to choose which method they feel more comfortable using
- Children should now be able to recall quickly any times table fact. Accuracy and speed of times tables are extremely important and should be revised as often as possible.
- Times tables tests occur once a week. Children are given 90 seconds to answer as many questions out of 72 as possible.
- The children are asked to comment on their learning twice a week, stating how they found the lesson and what they would like more help with
- Children write a ‘Big Write’ once a week and are given at three or four targets to work on
- Spelling lesson once a week
- Comprehension lesson once a week
- A lesson dedicated to one particular Literacy-based skill once a week
- Children should always have a reading book in school. They read for at least 20 minutes a day (a mixture of silent reading and reading aloud to someone). We encourage children to use expression and ensure they understand what they are reading. They should attempt to use a dictionary to find out the meaning of unknown words
- Homework is given out on a Friday and is due back in the following Wednesday
- Homework consists of either a written Maths or Literacy task. Education City homework is also set.