P.E and Sports Funding.
This year we had a fantastic response to the sports clubs we offered at Whetstone. 156 out of 210 children attended at least one sports club - a fantastic effort.
In terms of competitive sport in Years 1-6 121 out of 180 chidlren competed against another school on at least one occasion. Please see the attachment at the bottom of this page for the breakdown. We will also be posting a list of our sporting successes shortly.
What is the Sports Premium?
The government continues to provide funding of £150 million per annum to provide new and substantial primary school sport funding. The funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school Headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children.
Purpose of the funding
All schools have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but there is freedom to choose how we do it.
At Whetstone Field Primary School we recognise the contribution of PE to the health and well-being of the children. In addition, we believe that an innovative and varied PE curriculum and extra-curricular opportunities have a positive influence on the concentration, attitude and academic achievement of all children.
Use of the funding at Whetstone Field
The money will be used so that all children benefit regardless of their sporting ability. We will continue to place a high priority on our PE provision and, as such, have invested in additional staffing and resources to further enhance the PE curriculum as well as extra-curricular sports during lunchtime and after schools clubs.
Other uses of the funding:
- To employ a specialist sports coach to work with existing staff during PE sessions
- To employ an additional Sports Apprentice to work alongside our Sports Coach
- To pay for cover to enable staff to undertake professional development opportunities
- To provide high quality training for adults who run after school clubs and assist in organising school sports events e.g. triathlon, running club
- Provide a subsidy for those in need, to provide places in after-school sports clubs
- Pay for transport to and from sporting events and activities that cannot be held at our own school.
PE. Vision Statement
Physical Education at Whetstone Field promotes confidence, competition and cooperation. We support and challenge children, laying the foundation for an active lifestyle.
So far, the Primary PE and Sport Fund has provided us with:
- A full-time Sports Coach to work alongside our class teachers.
- Lunchtime Sport sessions
- Free after-school sports clubs for all abilities
- Football coaching for our team
- Physical Education training for staff from Streetly Sports College
- A full programme of competition for our most talented children
- Sports clubs during school holidays